What's your waste size?
Have you thought about what happens to your clothing once you discard it? Textiles and clothing takes up more than 1/3 of the space in our landfills and amount to about 10.5 million tons per year. We, as Americans only recycle or donate only 15 percent of our used clothing, and the rest goes into landﬁlls.
Do you donate your unwanted items?
See the chart below to understand what happens to recycled clothing...
What can you do to minimize your waste size?
1. Go through your closet and revive the fashion pieces that you have forgotten about, have a story and/or hold sentimental value.
2. Swap unwanted items with friends and/or family.
3. Shop vintage and own your own piece of history.
4. Hire clothes straight from the runway, but you only pay to borrow and must return the items.
5. Shop second hand and create your favorite looks for a fraction of the price.
6. DIY and spice up an old item that you would usually toss.